We look back at all the key Galatasaray vs Manchester United stats from tonight’s UEFA Champions League group stage game in Istanbul, Türkiye. Man Utd led by two goals twice in the match, but couldn’t find the victory that they very much needed.
Galatasaray vs Manchester United: Post-Match Facts
- After their defeat at FC København and draw tonight, Manchester United became only the second side to fail to win two separate matches in which they had a 2+ goal lead in a single UEFA Champions League season, after Real Madrid in 2016-17.
- Galatasaray came from behind to avoid defeat after being two goals behind for a second time in this season’s UEFA Champions League (also 2-2 draw v FC København); they had only done this twice in total in the competition prior to 2023-24 (v Hertha BSC in 1999 and Real Madrid in 2001).
- Manchester United have conceded 33 goals in all competitions this season, the most in their opening 20 matches of any season since 1962-63 (43).
- Manchester United have conceded 14 goals in the UEFA Champions League this season, their most ever in a single group stage in the competition. It is also the most ever conceded by an English club in their first five games of a season in the tournament.
- Man Utd have won just one of their five UEFA Champions League games this season, their joint-fewest from their opening five matches of a campaign in the competition (also 1994-95 and 2005-06).
- Galatasaray’s Kerem Aktürkoglu became the first player to score both home and away against Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League since Cristiano Ronaldo for Real Madrid in the 2012-13 last 16.
- Galatasaray’s Hakim Ziyech was just the fourth player ever to score two direct free-kick goals in a UEFA Champions League game, after Rivaldo against Milan in October 2000, Cristiano Ronaldo against Zürich in September 2009 and Neymar vs Crvena Zvezda in October 2018.
- Aged 19 years and 151 days, Alejandro Garnacho was the youngest ever non-English player to score for Man Utd in the UEFA Champions League. Indeed, the Argentine was the youngest non-English player to score in back-to-back appearances for Man Utd in all competitions since Federico Macheda in April 2009 (17y 232d).
- Man Utd’s Bruno Fernandes both scored and assisted in the same UEFA Champions League match for the very first time. The Portugal international has eight assists in his last 12 appearances in the competition.
- Scott McTominay scored his fourth goal of the season for Man Utd in all competitions, more than he managed in the whole of last term (3). His strike tonight was his first UEFA Champions League goal (21st appearance).
- Since his first season in the UEFA Champions League, André Onana has made seven errors leading to opposition goals in the competition – more than double any other goalkeeper in that period.
Galatasaray vs Manchester United Timeline
Galatasaray vs Manchester United Stats Centre
Our live Opta match centre delivers you all the Galatasaray vs Manchester United Stats from Wednesday’s UEFA Champions League game at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium in Istanbul.
The match centre below includes team and player stats, expected goals data, passing networks, an Opta chalkboard and more. It gives you everything you need to do your own analysis of the game.