Find all the Brazil vs Argentina stats from Opta, following the Argentine’s win at the Maracanã in their CONMEBOL 2026 World Cup qualifier in Rio de Janeiro.
Brazil suffered a third successive World Cup qualifying defeat across 35 days as they lost 1-0 at home to Argentina. Nicolás Otamendi’s 63rd minute goal meant that Argentina won a competitive match against their rivals inside Brazil for the first time ever in five attempts (W1 D1 L3). In fact, this was Brazil’s first ever defeat at home across South American World Cup qualification, ending an unbeaten run of 64 games (W51 D13) for the Seleção.
In stopping Brazil from scoring, Argentina kept a third successive clean sheet away from home in the CONMEBOL qualifiers – the first time that they have done this in their history.
Opta Match Centre
Our Opta match centre delivers you all the Brazil vs Argentina stats following their CONMEBOL 2026 World Cup qualifier at the Maracanã.
The match centre below includes team and player stats, expected goals data, passing networks, an Opta chalkboard and more. It gives you everything you need to do your own analysis after the game.
Brazil vs Argentina: Pre-Match Stats
● Argentina have the best defensive record in the South American World Cup qualifiers, with just two goals conceded, four clean sheets and 25 shots faced worth 1.67 expected goals.
● This game will see the two South American sides that are most comfortable in possession meet, with Argentina (67.2%) and Brazil (66.4%) the only two CONMEBOL teams to average at least 60% of possession in the qualifiers so far.
● Should Argentina keep a clean sheet in this match, it would be the first time that they have ever shut out opponents in three away games in a row across World Cup qualification.
● Brazil have never lost a World Cup qualifier against Argentina inside Brazil, winning three and drawing one of their four previous meetings in the competition.
● Lionel Messi will be on the hunt for more international goals to add to his 106 already scored across 179 caps. He’s previously scored five goals versus Brazil in international matches, including a memorable hat-trick in a 4-3 win over their rivals back in June 2012. He’s never scored a competitive goal against Brazil, however.