Two teams looking to bounce back from defeats lock horns in the Premier League at the London Stadium on Sunday. We look ahead with our data-powered West Ham vs Everton prediction and preview.

West Ham vs Everton: Quick Hits

  • West Ham (47.2%) are favourites to pick up a home victory when they take on Everton (24.9%) this weekend, according to the Opta supercomputer.
  • West Ham have scored in each of their last 11 Premier League games, including all nine this season. Only in 2015-16 have they ever scored in each of their first 10 games from the start of a Premier League campaign.
  • Jarrod Bowen has scored three goals in his last three games against Everton, including both strikes in the Hammers’ 2-0 win in this fixture last season.

Match Preview

West Ham and Everton will face off at the London Stadium in the Premier League on Sunday, both hoping to hit back after suffering defeats last weekend.

David Moyes’ men missed the opportunity to go fifth in the table as they were thumped 4-1 away at Aston Villa, while 10-man Everton fell to a 2-0 defeat at Liverpool in the Merseyside derby, with Sean Dyche left fuming afterwards over the refereeing at Anfield.

The loss at Villa Park was West Ham’s third in five league games, though the defeats have come against Manchester City, Liverpool and Villa, sides predicted to finish top, second and sixth in Opta’s 10,000 simulations of the season. West Ham are ninth heading into Matchday 10, two places above Opta’s pre-season prediction of 11th.

The Hammers have largely beaten the teams expected to finish below them in the league table, barring a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth on MD 1, and Jarrod Bowen has been a pivotal part of that, leading West Ham with six Premier League goals this season. However, five of those goals have come away from the London Stadium, and he will be keen to start firing more often on home soil to help his team move further up the table.

Stability has been a key theme in West Ham’s solid start, with no team making fewer changes to their starting XI in the Premier League this season than the Hammers (six). Moyes has named the same starting lineup in his side’s last five league games, West Ham’s longest such run since a run of six during the 1993-94 campaign.

West Ham vs Aston Villa lineup

It’s been a challenging week for Everton, beaten by rivals Liverpool last weekend under a cloud of refereeing controversy before long-time chairman Bill Kenwright passed away on Monday. On top of that, there are reports the Premier League has recommended a 12-point deduction for the Toffees over alleged financial breaches, a situation that adds further urgency to Everton’s need to accumulate points, currently 16th with seven from nine games.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin Everton goals graphic

And the sight of this Sunday’s opponents should have Dominic Calvert-Lewin chomping at the bit having scored more goals against West Ham in all competitions (five) than any other opponent. He blanked against Liverpool for the second game running, though he had struck three in three in all competitions before that and will be looking to get back on the scoresheet this weekend. His next Premier League goal will be his 50th, just the fourth Everton player to reach that milestone after Romelu Lukaku (68), Duncan Ferguson (60) and Tim Cahill (56).

Amadou Onana has been a vital player for Everton this season, leading all Toffees players in the Premier League for tackles (22), possession won (62), duels won (71) and fouls won (19), while he ranks second for aerial duels won (27) and passes (382). West Ham are also strong in the middle of the park, and that could prove to be a key match-up that decides which way this game goes.

West Ham were in European action in midweek, beaten 2-1 away at Olympiacos in the UEFA Europa League, but one benefit for Moyes is that his team suffered no fresh injuries. Vladimír Coufal was absent with muscle tightness but should be fine for kick-off on Sunday, while Aaron Cresswell was fit enough for the bench having recovered from a hamstring injury and could feature this weekend, especially with Emerson Palmieri suspended for accumulating five yellow cards.

For Dyche, this game will likely come too soon for Seamus Coleman and André Gomes on their returns from injury, while Ashley Young will be suspended after being sent off in the derby defeat at Liverpool last weekend. Dele Alli will also be absent.

West Ham vs Everton Head-to-Head

West Ham’s record against Everton has been much improved of late, winning four of their last six Premier League meetings, more than in the previous 24 (three).

While Everton have lost their last two league visits to West Ham, the Hammers are also the side they have beaten away from home in the Premier League most often, taking maximum points away from Upton Park and the London Stadium on 12 occasions in the Premier League.

The last contest between the sides came back in January, Bowen scoring twice to help West Ham to a 2-0 victory against Frank Lampard’s Everton. The Chelsea legend would be sacked just two days later before his replacement Dyche steered the Toffees to safety.

West Ham vs Everton January 2023 xG map

Recent Form

West Ham suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time this season when they were beaten by Olympiacos on Thursday, though they did net for the 17th game in a row, a streak that stretches back to mid-May.

They are back at the London Stadium this weekend, and that will give West Ham players and fans confidence having enjoyed a formidable home record of late, losing just three of their last 14 Premier League home games. Those three defeats came against Newcastle United, Liverpool and Manchester City, all sides that finished in the top five last season.

Everton’s defeat to Liverpool was already their sixth of the campaign, though they have been in with a chance in many of those losses, only beaten by a deficit of two or more goals on two occasions this season. They are finding the net more regularly now, too, scoring two or more in three of their last five matches in all competitions.

Everton won on their most recent visit to London, beating Brentford 3-1 in September, last winning back-to-back Premier League away games in the capital in May 2021, the second of which came against West Ham.

Opta Power Rankings

The Opta Power Rankings are a global team ranking system that assigns an ability score to over 13,000 domestic football teams on a scale between zero and 100, where zero is the worst-ranked team in the world and 100 is the best team in the world.

Ahead of kick-off, here is the Opta Power Ranking for both sides.

West Ham vs Everton Prediction

West Ham vs Everton Prediction Opta

The Opta supercomputer has West Ham as the favourites to get back on track by beating Everton on Sunday.

A home win is rated as the most likely outcome at 47.2%, though Everton are given a decent chance of coming away with a victory themselves, taking the three points in 24.9% of Opta’s 10,000 simulations. The teams share the spoils 27.9% of the time.

West Ham are given a slight chance of challenging the European spots this season, finishing in the Europa League places in 3.8% of Opta’s 10,000 simulations for the campaign, though ninth is predicted as their most likely finish. The Hammers are relegated in just 0.02% of simulations, with relegation considered a much more credible threat for Everton, who go down 18.7% of the time. Sixteenth is their estimated finish, though, just about preserving their Premier League status.

Enjoy this? Subscribe to our new football newsletter to receive exclusive weekly content. You should also follow our social accounts over on XInstagramTikTok and Facebook.